Friday, April 21, 2006

Big in Japan

So today was a very fun day at work. I spent most of my time writing new code and learning something completely new, and I was so totally into it that when the time came to have a meeting I was suffering from sitting around and listening to someone bitch and moan and wanted to get back to coding. I usually hate coding but when it's a clean slate and you have a clear idea of what you want to do... Well, I don't know about actual fun but I was in the flow state and the day blew by.

Since I got there late on account of banking, I had to stay a bit later and finally got to experience the sort of L.A. traffic that makes a guy start shouting "I have to make a phone call" while pummeling a stranger's brains into a pulp. I've realized that during my commute home there is always one random song I hear that stands above all the other crap I hear. Yesterday it was Whitesnake - Here I Go Again. Today it was Alphaville - Big in Japan. A few days ago it was Murray Head - One Night in Bangkok. These are nuggets of pure gold, anyone who is as smart and sophisticated as me would think they're amazing! Bump, Set, ...

When I re-rented a car today, I (as always) asked the guy at the counter if he'd waive the under-25 driving charge. He said he couldn't, but if I was in the military it wouldn't apply. One of the "ethnic" fellows behind me said "ya! if you're old enough to die..." and let the rest of it trail off. I told him I was old enough to die. He said I should join up. While it's a good way to get a rental car discount, I just don't have the time. Maybe next war.

1 comment:

D.M. said...

That conversation at the car place sounds cribbed from Beckett. Existential angst and irrational retail policies make good bedfellows.