Sunday, April 30, 2006

Saturday Morning

While I was waiting at the airport gate there was a girl across the corridor who seemed to be staring at me. She kept turning her head and looking towards me for long periods at a time. She was kind of cute and by herself so I started thinking about going over there and keeping her company. Luckily I was still debating this in my head when her boyfriend came back. She was probably just waiting for him anxiously. He had a buzz cut and looked like he might have been in the marines or something even though he was in civvie dress. Then I started psychologizing and thinking about her having an insecure attachment to him because of his time in the military and that's why she kept staring at the area where he would be coming from. I'm nuts, it's all in my imagination, but that's how I think when I watch people. When time came for her to go away and leave him by himself, he sat with head in hands, and didn't really look towards the corridor like she did.

I'm writing this on my Delta Song flight to NYC. The plane is freakin' awesome. So much leg room and each seat has its own entertainment system with screens build in. These newfangled systems are nice, you can order one of a bunch of movies, or watch 24 channels of free tv, or play games, or (as I'm doing) listen to one of over 1600 mp3's. They have tons of full albums, and I guess it's not *so* great because I have with me the laptop and my mp3 player, but it's still nice to plug into new music while I'm here. Muchos nice and comfortable, I think the plane is brand new.

I spoke to my older brother a few days ago and asked him how the kids are doing. He told me he watched the Narnia with my older niece the other day and she sat through the whole thing and didn't take her eyes off the screen. She can really get into stuff when she's interested. Afterwards she was totally drained. He told me she understood the story and seemed upset when Aslan died. He had to reassure her that he's coming back. I suggested he constantly explain to her that movies are not real and that the people in them are just pretending. When they showed the trailer for Narnia on the in-flight entertainment system I got a little misty eyed. It's stupid stuff like that which makes me miss my family. It's only been like 2 weeks.

I'm looking forward to seeing David when I get to New York. I was going to bring him some sesame snaps. I took a bunch of them when I left home and I know he likes 'em. But he'll have to make due with the gallons of booze I feed him later tonight. We've been pals for like 10 years or longer, so I know this fellow likes his sesame snaps. I love New York. I haven't even arrived and I'm already looking forward to the next time I return.

(I am posting this now 'cause I didn't have 'net access, look forward to more on the rest of my trip soon...)

No comments: