Sunday, April 23, 2006

Sunday Driver

So this morning I met up with my Israeli compadre to get his car inspected. We were told it'd take about an hour and a half so we went for coffee and chatted for a long while. When we came back we were told it'd be another hour, so we went for lunch at McDonalds. I hate McDick's but there wasn't anything else around. I had their "new" spicy chicken. It's tiny but pretty decent. Yosi gave me a tip that Carl's Jr. has an amazing santa fe chicken sammich. He also confirmed shoebox's allegations that In & Out burger is the best burger in L.A.. He's a good guy, easy to get along with. Anyway when the inspection was finally done we got a list of all the shit that needs to be done and basically subtracted that from the price and I paid him in cashola. The car is being worked on and will be ready for me to pick up tomorrow. After I paid him and got home, I looked up the Carfax report for the vehicle. By this point I already had the pink slip in hand etc. Anyway, long story short, stuff came up on the report that raised alarm bells for me and I started freaking out that he ripped me off. There was a good hour of total panic until I finally spoke to him and he reassured me it's fine. No point in going into the details here but suffices to say if you get a car title and on it the word "suspend" appears, you freak out. All good now.

I would have been in total shock if this nice guy I hung out with all day was out to screw me. We even made tenative plans to get together for a drink during the week.

Let's see, other things of note...

I did laundry for the first time ever. I used some "organic" detergent I picked up at Whole Foods just because it was on the way home. My clothes came out intact so I ain't complaining.

For dinner I made my first attempt at pad thai. It came as a box of noodles and some sauce. I didn't have key pad thai components such as bean sprouts, peanuts, or scallions, but I made due with spanish onion and green pepper. I also very quickly realized that my puny frying pan is not enough for all the things I was loading into it. Lesson learned. It came out reasonably tasty and if it causes any problems on the way out, I'll be sure to let you, my faithful readers, know about it.

Here's a picture I took with my crappy webcam. I love taking pictures of food I make. You will likely see many more instances of Gil Dinner Pics in the future.

No comments: