Monday, April 09, 2007

Joshi Detox: Day 5

Yesterday I did the detox drink. It really wasn't bad at all in terms of taste. The ingredients are: 300ml of grapefruit juice, 200ml of water, juice from some garlic and ginger, and 2tsp olive oil. Getting juice out of garlic and ginger is pretty damn hard if you don't have a press. I just minced it all up and then squeezed between two spoons, and then dropping all the pieces into the measuring cup. After adding some olive oil and stirring vigorously (recipe calls for a blender but what can ya do?), I poured it into a tall glass and drank, sifting out the chunks.


After you drink this concoction, you are supposed to follow it up with 2 cups of herbal tea (I had only 1), and do some deep breathing followed by 2 hours of lying down and relaxing. Well, I didn't quite do things in the right order, but after the deep breathing I was definitely relaxed. I think garlic has some natural anesthetic qualities that enhance the effect of slow, controlled breaths. In and out, 20 times. Net effect? Lots of healthy-lookin' pee, that's about it.



A few hours prior to the detox drink, I had a nice brunch of an omelet, some fresh broccoli, and some matzah. Matzah is technically forbidden but I cheated a little. The onions got a little overbrowned (translation: burnt), but it was still a damn tasty omelet and the rosemary chicken, which was left over from a few days ago, was even tastier now.



After the detox drink, I wasn't hungry for a long time. But around 8 o'clock I figured I should eat something, so I whipped up a quick stir fry of the leftover mahi mahi and some frozen veggies from Trader Joe's. It was aight, but the texture of the fish was kind of chewy. I think either that's what happens when you overcook it, or that's how it's supposed to be. I'm not too crazy about fish and have to get used to incorporating it in my diet.


Tomorrow I'll discuss some of the supplements that Joshi recommends you take during the 21 day detox.



Today's food plan:

Plain yogurt with honey and banana for breakfast.
Carrot and celery sticks to snack on.
Chicken stir fry for dinner.
Water and Green Tea to drink.


Things I miss:
Giant grilled hot dog on a toasted egg bun, slathered with ketchup.


Song of the day:
The Turtles - So Happy Together

1 comment:

Let Love Emerge said...

Hi! I love your blog. I just started the detox today and am blogging about it. I hope you don't mind, but i put a link to your blog in it. Let me know if you do mind, and I'll remove it.

Anyway, I'm wondering, what did you use as sauce/seasoning for your stirfry dishes?